Saturday, October 21, 2017

MO Road Trip {Out & About}

Prior to purchasing the RV, we had made reservations at a new state park in Missouri that was getting rave reviews. So, we took the Explorer and headed out for a 2-night stay, October 16-18, at Echo Bluff Park, close to Eminence. We planned visits to several of the MO springs (most of them fondly remembered from our camping days when the children were small).

IMG_2478

First stop, a great lunch along historic Route 66, Missouri Hick Bar-B-Q in Cuba, MO.

IMG_2481

Next, we visited Maramec Spring, close to St James, MO. The water was beautiful, and it was fun to see the trout swimming in the clear stream. Russell wants to return for some fishin’!

IMG_2483

IMG_0936

IMG_0940

IMG_2488

IMG_2491

Arriving at Echo Bluff Park, our cabin and the lodge exceeded expectations. Very new, very well-appointed.

IMG_2505

IMG_2496

IMG_2497

IMG_2498

IMG_2502

IMG_2504

We walked over to the lodge and down a short trail behind it, taking a picture of the bluff that towers behind the lodge, and of the lodge from the base of the bluff.

IMG_2510

IMG_2508

We ate dinner that evening at Creekside Grill in the lodge. Beautiful decor in the lobby.

IMG_2512

(Our second night we opted to stay in the cabin, with a wood fire and our own chili that we brought from home.)

IMG_2551

Our side trips included several springs that are a part of the Ozark National Scenic Riverways now (at one time, I remember most or all of these being state parks).

Round Spring (on the Current River) was very close to Echo Bluff. Here, and at most of the other places we visited, we were the ONLY people there. Russell got a bit emotional at Round Spring, as he remembered visiting there with his parents. It may have been the most beautiful spring we saw.

IMG_2516

IMG_2520

Getting to Blue Spring (Current River) was quite an adventure. We almost didn’t find it. We traveled down about 2.5 miles of gravel road (pretty drive).

IMG_2523

We hiked about .3 mile from the parking area to the spring.

IMG_2526

IMG_2531

The water started just below the stone steps—it looks like a sand bar, but that’s just how clear the water is.

IMG_2532

IMG_2533

Alley Spring, my favorite because of the picturesque mill and the history surrounding it. In my memory, there was a water wheel, but the knowledgeable young man inside told me that Alley Spring Mill was a turbine mill (no wheel), because they made white flour (requiring more power than a wheel). Other mills that have wheels make wheat flour. (At least that’s the way I remember what he said!)

IMG_2538

IMG_2543

IMG_0944

We hiked along the stream.

IMG_2545

IMG_2547

There was one other spring/campground that I wanted to visit, as I had a memory that I was fairly certain originated at Pulltite Campground, also on the Current River. We drove to the campground, and my memory was correct. I expected it to be unrecognizable, because the memory was from 1975. But, actually it looked very much the same. I took a picture of the Current River (really down at the present time) accessible within the campground, and then of a campsite that was our exact site or very close (I know, because I remember seeing the Current River flowing outside the camper “windows,” and there was only one or two sites that could have been it). I took these two pictures:

IMG_2552

The rock bed of the Current River at Pulltite Campground, October 2017.

IMG_2554

The campsite that I believe was ours, taken October 2017.

When I got home, I looked it up in my Life Story. Here is what I found: "May 23, 1975 - My 28th birthday. We four went camping at Pulltight on Current River, with our used pop-up camper. Mark and Sharida had matching bathing suits. They loved wading in Current River, and we found "the bread rock," which we kept for several years."

Then I looked at my 1975 photo album and found these pictures:

Pulltite on Current 1975002

Picked wildflowers for our campsite, on the way (it was my birthday). My handsome 30-year-old husband. (Mark, looking at this picture today: “STUD, even with the black socks!”)

Pulltite on Current 1975001 ed

Our very first camper, a used pop-up. We loved it. Here it is on the same campsite I photographed this week (I’m just sure). We hooked a hose from the water faucet there, and I was thrilled to be able to use the little sink to give the kids a “bird bath” (we called it). Our previous “camper” had been a 3-man tent. This was awesome.

Pulltite on Current 1975003 ed

My two beautiful children. Mark was almost 5. Sharida was 3 1/2. They were such fun, and they had such fun!

Pulltite on Current 1975004 ed

Their awesome dad was helping them build a “dam across Current River.” They found a rock that was shaped like a loaf of bread. We kept “the bread rock” for several years.

About an hour from home on this trip, we stopped at Dutzow and hiked for a while on the Katy Trail.

IMG_2555

It was a great trip, full of fun and relaxation, time spent enjoying each other’s company, and time spent down memory lane!

(And about when can I expect to STOP thinking about how much I wish our children were with us, on our trips and adventures?)

#OutandAbout #EchoBluffPark #OzarkNationalScenicRiverway #RoundSpring #AlleySpring #MaramecSpring #BlueSpring #PulltiteCampground #CurrentRiver #lovemyfamily

1 comment:

Nancy Happily said...

WOW! Thanks for sharing your pics and, your new & old memories. Spectacular locations, the water color is breathtaking.